can't seem to tire of current favourite. with more practice and experience, every loaf is getting more and more consistent! also, realized that we have gone 100% white flour free!
100% no white flour, wholemeal and rye bread
- 3 cups of wholemeal (whole wheat) flour
- 1 cup of rye flour
- 1-2 tbsp of honey
- 1/2 tsp of instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- about 1 cup full of seeds - sunflower seed, pumpkin seed and flaxseed.
- approximately 2 cups of water
- if you have time... try the biga method. mix 1 cup of rye flour, 1/4 tsp of yeast and 3/4 cup of water. let it sit overnight (12-16 hours). then mix the rest of the ingredients the next day.
- if you don't have time at all. use the same above but increase to 1 tsp instant yeast. go for single rise.
- if you have some time but not too much. then mix all the above. let it sit for 3 hours or until doubled in size. then stretch the dough and let it sit for another hour. go for 2 rises.
err, the amount of water is just a rough guide. the dough should feel kind of wet. if it looks a bit dry, add 2 tablespoons of water. in any case, should you decide you need more water, add in increments of 2 tablespoons.
before baking, sprinkle a liberal dose of seeds on top of the dough. some rolled oats look really good too!
as before, bake in a covered tin pan at 180C for 30 minutes, then remove cover and bake for another 15 minutes.
sorry, no pics. by the time i finished this loaf, it was kind of late. but it looks not much different from the other loafs of the approximately same recipe.