and check out their definition of "read bread".
i guess i'm a bit more extreme as i insist on 0% white flour these days!
What is Real Bread?Real bread has nothing to hide. It is made with simple ingredients – only flour, water, yeast and salt - and no additives. It tastes good and is naturally nutritious and easily digested. It is an important part of a balanced healthy diet. It is produced in ways that are honest, ecologically and socially responsible and designed to conserve the vitality of the ingredients for our benefit and enjoyment.
- must be made of flour, water, yeast (natural or processed) and salt (optional)
- must not contain ‘improvers’, additives or processing aids (including enzymes) of any kind
- may include other natural food ingredients such as nuts, fruits, vegetables and fats, providing these themselves contain no colourings, flavours, emulsifiers, humectants, stabilisers, fillers or additives of any kind
- must not be made only with refined white flour; stoneground white flour is permissible and higher extraction rate flours are recommended
- must be fermented for a minimum of four hours
- must be mixed, fermented and baked in one continuous operation, i.e. part-baked, bake-off, frozen & re-heated and similar products are not allowed.