in a previous blog, i talked about how i sun dried some tomatoes. it was really fun! and our car smelled nice for a few days...
so the next step is to bake bread with it.
the thing with me though, i never really plan out things to do. just go with the flow! so this time just before baking bread, found that i dont' have enough flour for the regular 2 loaves of bread. dang! so had to improvise.
- 5 cups of flour - 3.5 cup wholemeal + 1.5 cup rye (because i ran out of wholemeal)
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2.5 cups of warm water
it's the next part that's interesting.
- 1/2 cup or more of sun dried tomatoes. cut into smaller pieces. a pair of scissors is very handy here.
- 1 or 2 small cloves of garlic, minced.
- some dried herbs. went for 1 tsp oregano + 1 tsp basil. use whatever you have.
- some olive oil from the sun dried tomatoes. after a day or two of soaking the tomatoes, the oil now has a slight reddish tint to it.
knead in this ingredient to the bread combo. actually, it's more like "squeeze" rather than knead in. of course you could vary with more tomatoes or garlic, depending on you!
the resultant dough should be fairly wet and oily. and smells heavenly!
an hour or two later, the dough should have doubled or even tripled in volume. cut into 2 equal portions, shape it, place on an oiled pan (or loaf tin) and wait for another hour or so.
then bake it! i didn't use a loaf tin here so baked it at 180c for about 25 minutes, or until desired "golden brownish".
this bread tastes fantastic! somehow the flavour of the tomatoes, herbs, garlic and oil all seap in to the bread and you have one hell of a good tasting bread! smells and tastes great!
this is another of our favourite now. no doubt about it! will do more in future.
will also list out our favourite breads here soon...